Quinoa Chickpea Bowls with Avocado Dressing
This easy vegetarian dish is packed with anti-inflammatory turmeric, heart healthy chickpeas, quinoa, and avocado, and delicious flavor for a quick & healthy meal.
Prep Time 5 minutes
Cook Time 20 minutes
Total Time 25 minutes
Servings 4 servings
For the Bowl:
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa
- 3 cups water (for cooking quinoa)
- 1 TBSP extra virgin olive oil
- 1 can low sodium chickpeas drained & rinsed
- 2 large carrots, chopped
- 3-4 cups spinach or kale
- 1/2 cup finely sliced shallots
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1/4 tsp smoked paprika
- dash turmeric
- 4 TBSP feta or goat cheese, upon serving
For the Sauce:
- 1/2 whole avocado
- 2 TBSP extra virgin olive oil
- 1 TBSP tahini
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 TBSP water
- 1 TBSP lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- In a large pot, add quinoa and water and turn heat to high. Add sea salt, black pepper, smoked paprika, and turmeric. When water starts to bowl, turn down to a simmer, cover, and cook for about 12-15 minutes or until all water is absorbed and quinoa fluffs with a fork.
- While quinoa is cooking, chop carrots and shallots. In a large saute pan, add chickpeas (drained, rinsed, & patted dry with a paper towel), chopped carrots, and shallots and cook on medium-high heat for about 4-5 minutes.
- Add spinach to saute pan and continue to cook a few more minutes until spinach is wilted. Add additional salt and pepper to taste.
- Make the sauce: in a food processor, blend together avocado, olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, tahini, and salt & pepper until smooth. Set aside.
- Once quinoa is cooled, divide into 4 servings, top with spinach/carrot/shallot mixture, and drizzle with avocado dressing. Top with cheese if desired. Enjoy!