Turkey Chili Stuffed Acorn Squash
Prep Time 5 minutes
Cook Time 40 minutes
Total Time 1 hour 30 minutes
Servings 4 servings
- 2 acorn squash halved and seeded
- 1 lb 93% lean ground turkey
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/3 cup Onion chopped
- 2 cloves Garlic crushed
- 10 oz Canned Rotel mild tomatoes with green chilies
- 1/2 cup Canned Tomato Sauce
- 1/2 cup water
- 3/4 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp chili powder
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 2 tbs Chopped Cilantro for garnish
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- Preheat Over to 400F. Spray a cooking sheet or put foil down on the pan.
- Place squash halves on the baking sheet, cut sides down. Make sure all the seeds have been removed. Bake until soft, about 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, brown turkey over medium heat, breaking it up as it cooks into smaller pieces and season with salt and pepper.
- When meat is cooked, strain and place back in pan. Add in onion and garlic, cook 3 minutes over medium heat. Next, add the can of rotel tomatoes, tomato sauce, water, cumin, chili powder, paprika and bay leaf.
- Cover and simmer over medium-low heat about 25 minutes stirring occasionally, until sauce reduces and thickens slightly.
- Remove bay leaf, flip the squash over and fill each half with 3/4 cup of chili. Top with some cilantro and enjoy!